Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Heidelberg - Old Town

Well now, what town that goes back 1500 years or so wouldn't have an Old Town?  Heidelberg is no different even for a place that's been ramsacked so many times I think they've even lost track.  Naturally, you can google Heidelberg and get a overview map of the various things to see in Heidelberg.  Half of them are within walking distance in and around Old Town.  I GPSed our way over to the old bridge and then we strolled around a bit from there found the market place, Knight St. George's house (now a hotel) and a few other interesting fountains and such.  This time of year is a good time to see these things if you not keen on crowds.  It isn't tourist season right now. That means pictures are a little bit gloomly.  It rain a good bit off and on through out the day. If you decide to join on to a googles blog site like this I'll let you know I've discovered that the shorter the blog posting the easier it is to create and manage.  The more pictures and writing the slower it gets to add and change. Consequently I've broken down entries by events and sub-events.  Like, the old bridge, old town and the castle were all in the same day.  I'm entering them individually because it is easier technically speaking and perhaps it may be more interesting if the reader/viewer has smaller bits to take in at a time. Now with no futher adieu. Here's some pictures of old town.
Does that look old to you?  It is.  However there are these sorts of buildings everywhere in Germany. Perhaps not so concentrated as they are here.



People and cars share a lot of the streets and sidewalks around here.  I had passed this way earlier in the week and this square was packed with people.  I was an obdient GPS follower and it took me by here.  You just have to have a great deal of patience or at least not be in any particular hurry as people stroll this way and that in front of you.



The is the backside of this large church. Interesting thing is all along the base of the building are doors after doors built in that are like really large closets.  People I suspect rent these closets and then during whatever hours they deem most profitable they open them and pull out umbrella's, tables and their wares to sell.  Very much like a flea market back in the states.  One thing about Germany is most established large chain stores close on Sunday. While we were walking around people were setting up for their days sells.  Having been all over the world I've seen some peculiar things.  Not that I think there is anything wrong with this church leasing out these spaces I just wonder if these closets were always that way or did they use to be used for something else. 
This is a hotel now.  It is the previous home of Knight St. George. and has survived every razing of Heidelberg.
 
Now tell me that this isn't interesting. I have to admit traveling around in the U.S. I've seen some statues and displays that has made less sense than this thing.  All I can say is I think a good bit of money has been wasted here.  I'm not for hand outs so I figure some artist fed his family for half a year with this one. 
Old town doesn't have a monopoly on these purplish-pink phone booths.  Wonders never cease. I don't think you'd ever see something like this in the U.S. outside of Berkley.
That concludes the Heidelberg Old Town visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment